This project dates back to August (see post), and was a “learning” project as much as a sock project.
Turkish Cast-on with one Circular Needle – my new favorite toe-up sock cast-on method.
Knitting on Circular Needles (instead of DPNs) – Also my new favorite technique. While the cable for the circular needle sometimes gets in the way, this technique is much safer and more stable for me than trying to manage DPNs.
Project Progress by the Gram – as a toe-up sock, with a yarn that was enough for two socks in one skein (Berroco Comfort Sock Yarn), it was an interesting experiment to knit “half the yarn” and then start the next sock.
That mostly worked – I ran out of yarn right at the ribbing of the second sock and had to find something that would coordinate and complete the project. I considered unraveling half of the ribbing for the first sock, but discarded that idea as being unnecessarily complicated. As it happens, I kind of like the result – the scrap yarn I used coordinated perfectly, and almost seems intentional.
There was a lot of yarn. This is a knee sock!
Something else that worked out unexpectedly – the yarn pattern matched up perfectly in the sock. That made my day.
All in all – a thoroughly enjoyable (if slow to completion) project, and I learned several new techniques that will have a permanent place in my knitting repertoire.