TGIS Socks

This was a Ravelry Knit-a-Long, by Yvette Noel, and other than the fact that the author really should re-post the pattern as a single pattern, instead of a series of “clues,” it was a fast and mostly-easy project.

The yarn is Cascade Heritage Prints in color 46 Camo.  It took me a few tries to get going (doesn’t it, always?) because I was using a needle size too large and it wasn’t working.  Once I got going, it moved fairly smoothly.

A rather time-consuming stopper came after I finished the first sock and started on the second.  Note that a single skein of yarn has 437 yards, which is more than enough for two socks (and I had plenty left over for another sock, maybe).  Unfortunately, I took this project with me when I traveled, and the yarn ball did not fare well over time.  Eventually, it tangled thoroughly enough that I had to stop and rewind the skein into a ball.  It took three evenings of mostly-patient tugging and winding.



Brioche Cable Cowl Completed

Finally completed!  It took no fewer than four complete “do-overs” to get onto this pattern, but once it clicked, I completed it without too much difficulty.

Things to learn –

  1.  Needle size matters – use a larger needle size than recommended – you really want a loose knit on this project, both because of the type of project (a cowl needs a lot of give) and because of the double-knitting-like feel of the project.  While you are only ever knitting with one color per row,  the style is double-sided.
  2. Pay attention to stich count and transition between rows.  Because you ar changing colors at each round, the transition needs to be smooth so it doesn’t look messy.
  3. This pattern could have been written more clearly.  Instead of referring to the sample colors, the author would have made it easier to read by referring to MC (main color) and CC (contrast color).  I never did get that straight, and – until I finally caught onto the pattern – it was confusing.
  4. Start with something simple.  While I did swatches in the brioche knitting to figure out the technique, a two-color, in the round project was maybe not the best project to start with.

I am pleased with the result, however.  The Caron Simply Soft yarn is very soft, and the project is lofty and generous.

2017-02-04 08.53.43 (1280x720).jpg

Celtic Scarf Complete

This project almost failed.  I started it about 8 months ago (and posted information about it here).  I really liked the yarn (Blackstone Tweed in color 2607) and thought that the pattern set it off, nicely.  Unfortunately, I came the the end of the second ball and the scarf was not long enough – it maybe could be an ascot.   I find that style awkward, but I finished it, anyway, including the black I-Cord edging.

I wasn’t happy with it, however, and very disappointed that I couldn’t get more yarn (I looked – not only discontinued, but no stray balls out in the world).

Digging through my workbasket for another project, I came across another ball!  YAY!  I thought I had purchased more – and apparently I mislaid one in my basket, where it languished for several months.

I had to unravel most of the binding and open the end and figure out where I left off, but after a few hours of back-tracking, I was able to resume happy knitting of this enjoyable project and complete it to a more acceptable length.