From the blog, Love Honor and Vacuum, by Shelia Wray Gregoire, insightful thoughts on relationships. Today’s society has drifted away from traditional expressions of emotion and affections – some of this is good, but some of the loss leaves us adrift on how to relate (romantically or otherwise) to others.
So, my best friend and I played hookey a few weeks ago and visited Nashville, IN for the day. There’s a great yarn store, The Clay Purl
(My friend graciously indulges my love of visiting yarn stores – when we travel or spend time together, she cheerfully agrees to visit yarn stores, and she has benefited by these adventures – see B’s sweater in an earlier post)
Found WONDERFUL yarn at the Clay Purl, including some brand-new, custom-dyed sock-weight yarn. Also in our exploring, we found a terrific pattern, “The Gardener” by Leslie Comstock (Pattern at Ravelry)
So, my friend will be getting these socks out of the lovely yarn we found.
After taking a look at the pattern, I realized I was a bit over my head, so I started practicing. Several of the techniques in The Gardener can be found in Cat Bordhi’s book, “New Pathways for Sock Knitters, Book One,” a copy of which I received one year for Christmas, but hadn’t really explored.
Find your copy at Amazon: New Pathways for Sock Knitters
It’s a great book – the author explains new techniques very well, and has improved upon several standard techniques in sock design and construction.
I knit a pair of socks from the book that incorporated several of the techniques in The Gardner. The pair I chose is “Cables and Corrugations,” which included the following techniques (new for me) — toe-up socks, riverbed sole, modified heel, moccasin toe and the use of size 1 needles (the smallest I have used on yarn knitting)
Am I GLAD I did this! Turns out a little more challenging than I expected, and really required some mental and manual dexterity (finished socks, below).
Now, on to the Gardner socks. Again, with the challenging pattern, I decided to use scrap yarn to start the sock to see how I got along with the pattern – a vine on the front with a big spider up the back of the sock. Also toe-up, riverbed construction. Here’s what I have so far, and I’ve discovered that the vine pattern isn’t as hard as I feared, so I’m about ready to jump to the fashion yarn. I’ll post the yarn information and in-process pictures later, so my Dear Reader can follow along.
Click an image to see a larger filmstrip view