This yarn was pulled from my stash – one of the “on vacation” purchases. I think I purchased it when in Palm Springs several years ago – we took an outing to a nearby historic (and touristy) district and found “The Wool Lady” store tucked in a corner. I picked up a few hand-spun and hand-dyed hanks and never found the right project – until now.
The yarn is Teeswater/Wensleydale by Feathergrass Fiber. Unfortunately, I could not find information about either the store or the fiber producer, so either may or may not still be in business.
The pattern is Green the Whole Year ‘Round by Anna Yamamoto, available as a free Ravelry download. The yarn I used was a bit fuzzy, so tthe pattern in my finished project is not as distinct as the author’s pattern suggests, but I think it turned out nicely.
The pattern was fun but challenging – the author rates it as “advanced” The pattern is both charted and written out, and the author provides clear directions, but one needs to be very comfortable with some of the more advanced stitches and the pattern requires attention.
Changes: I did not include the “nubs” – I don’t particularly like that feature in most patterns, and I don’t miss it in the finished product. The pattern also calls for short rows for shaping – I used my favorite German Short Row technique, instead.
Also note: I think the term is “severe blocking” and is required to make sure that the shawl is shaped properly.
I was concerned about the yardage, but I had plenty, and wish I would have carried the pattern on for a bit more length. But, that sometimes happens with hand-made and dyed yarn, and having yarn leftover is better than not having enough.
Note in the pictures that the yarn has more pink tones at the bottom (right side in the picture) of the shawl, and more evenly purple at the top – that is the difference in the two skeins used to make the shawl, and a cautionary tale in purchasing yarn by unknown fiber artists – even though clearly the same dye lot, purchase at the same time, and looked the same on the hanks, the dye process on the two hanks resulted in a clearly different product for each hank. Fortunately, the shawl pattern lent itself to this and the color change looks like it an intended feature. Had this been a sweater or some other more fitted project, it would have been a noticeable flaw in the construction.