WIP – Cachoeira Socks

One done – one to go.  This project is moving along well, despite a slow start.

As with the other sock project currently on the needles, I am enjoying the new experience of knitting with a circular needle (as opposed to DPNs) and might adopt that as a regular practice.  There was a bit of a challenge in casting on using the circular needle.  It felt awkward, at first, but I eventually got onto it.  Will have to repeat several times until I’m comfortable with casting on socks with circular needles.

I like the stability of a circular needle – I have more confidence that the stitches at the end of the rows won’t drop off, and it was easier to knit the heel on the circular needle.  The project is also more portable, as I’m not managing (and keeping track of) 4 or 5 DPNs.

New experiences broaden the mind, are challenging, and can result in new skills.

As with the other sock project, this sock is knitting up a bit larger than expected.

WIP – Hidden Heart Socks

Current progress on one of the two sock projects on needles.

I enjoy knitting socks on a circular needle (new to me with this and the other project) – however, I’ve noticed that I’m either using a needle a size too large or my knitting is looser with a circular needle.  Both socks are running a bit large.

2016-10-05 10.51.56 (720x1280).jpg

I like the Berroco Comfort Sock yarn.  It’s easy to knit and makes a nice sock.  This particular color (#1811 Hari Hari) has much more gradual color variations than suggested by the company photos.  I’n not complaining – it suits this pattern well.

Another interesting observation about this yarn – the yarn ball is 100 grams to start, and I currently have 72 grams left – based upon current progress, that suggests a fairly tall sock, if I want to use up all the yarn for this pattern.  The nice thing about toe-up socks, is you can knit until you run out of yarn.

WIP – Blue Heron – Fifty-Fifty

Another slow-going project, the Fifty-Fifty tank with Blue Heron yarn.  This is lace-weight yarn, with many stitches per inch and add to that, knit in the round, and you have a project that goes ’round and ’round and ’round, and doesn’t seem to gain much length.

Another project that seems to be knitting up larger than expected.  I’ve gone back to read about gauge and blocking, to see if I’m missing something when I convert patterns to yarn (or vice-versa).  Still too early to tell.

SMV – WIP Cachoeira Socks

I have been knitting regularly – really, I have – but it seems that progress is very slow.

See below current status of Cachoeira Socks.  As previously noted, this sock is not a breeze.  For quite a while, I contemplated ending this project and winding the yarn back.  It helped to put this project on a single, long circular needle – managing two “sides” is a lot easier than managing four (with 4 DPNs).  Also, I think I finally got into the rhythm of the pattern.

Things really took off when I started on the heel – which, itself, was of interest, since it was constructed as a continuation of the pattern, rather than the typical heel.  Now that I’m “around the bend” and into the foot, it is going much faster.

One thing is that the sock size is larger than I expected.  It will still fit, but I was expecting it to be on the snug side, and it’s more on the loose side.

PS – I live on a farm. “SMV” means “Slow Moving Vehicle,” of which there are many on the road, these days, now that harvest is in full swing.  It also captures my impression of my knitting progress.

WIP – Summer Bells Sweater

This project is going fairly quickly, and seems to be working up nicely.  I’m also learning a few tricks along the way:

  1. When you have X number of “every row” or “every-other-row” decreases (along the neckline, at the sleeve/armscye), put a stitch marker X stitches into the row to know when to stop decreases.
  2. When you have decreases “every X” rows, put a stitch along the edge at each decrease to keep track of intervals and quantities.

Back, Left and Right Front, and one sleeve finished. Second sleeve well on its way to completion.  I did a conceptual test-fitting on my daughter (who is also petite) to check that the length was right and to be sure that the “smaller-than-me” size would fit.

2016-08-19 07.04.56 (1280x720)
Knitting nearly complete.  Next up – blocking and assembly.

Interlude -Seed Stitch Pillow

I’m a sucker for novelty yarn.  At least I now delude myself that I have a project in mind when I purchase it.

Meet Bernat Maker Home Dec, available from Michaels.  The photo below shows color clay and Pebble Beach Variegated.  Composition is 72% cotton and 28% nylon.  Kind of reminds me of t-shirt yarn, except more substantive.

This is a made-up pattern that *probably* will fit the intended pillow.  I didn’t want the knitted fabric to be too saggy, and it stretches a far amount.  Simple seed stitch over 57 stitches, switching colors about every 10 rows (as is typical for me, I’m not counting rows, but “eyeballing” it).

Skills-builder:  Moss stitch is tedious when done in American “throwing” style, which is the way I learned and the way I usually knit.  I’ve always wanted to learn Continental style, and this is a perfect tutorial – big needles, easy pattern, not too worried about gauge.

There are many videos on YouTube that demonstrate Continental Style, generally, and Seed Stitch, specifically.  I watched a few as I tried the awkward (for me) style.

This project is definitely faster in the Continental Style, but still very awkward for me, and I feel like I’m not getting enough tension (which is why I’m not worried about the apparent under-sized fabric as compared with the pillow form in the picture below).  It’s terrific mindless knitting, though, and I’m fascinated by both how Continental  Stitch works and that I’m still having trouble with it.

2016-07-19 06.31.38 (2) (1020x1280)